We all have skin, but we don’t always take care of it as we should. In fact, skincare is one of the most critical aspects of overall wellness and general health, but far too few people do things as basic as washing their skin regularly!
In truth, taking care of your skin is crucial for more reasons than one. Let’s break down why skincare is important whether you’re 20, 40, 65, or any other age!
Skin Care Preserves Your Skin’s Youthful Appearance
For starters, a great skincare routine will help ensure that your skin retains its youthful appearance for years to come. In a nutshell, our skin's look and feel are affected by things like:
- The nutrients we provide our skin
- The amount of collagen and elastin our skin produces
- How much daily stress our skin is exposed to
If you give your skin extra nutrients and vitamins, not only will it look and feel better than ever. It’ll also be able to create more collagen and elastin, both of which are vital compounds for protecting your skin’s smooth feel and elasticity. This is even more important as we get older, as our skin cells are less able to create collagen and elastin by themselves.
Most of us enjoy youthful, healthy-looking skin when we are young. But that won't last forever! It’s in your best interest to start a skincare routine while you are still young so your skin cells benefit from extra vitamins earlier rather than later.
Skin Care Can Offset Aging Signs
The right skincare routine may help reduce the appearance of certain signs of aging, including but not limited to:
- Wrinkles and fine lines
- Dark spots
- Redness in the skin
This isn’t to say that skincare can completely turn back the clock. No matter how lucky you are, you will still see the signs of aging in your skin sooner or later. But you may be able to make those symptoms less severe with a skincare routine that includes the right products.
No one wants to look ten years older than they are! With the proper skincare routine, you may look ten years younger and impress everyone you meet.
Skin Care May Lower the Risk of Sun Damage
There's an even more important benefit to skincare: potentially decreased risk of sun damage that can contribute to future health issues. A variety of factors can influence your risk for sun damage-related health issues:
- How much time you spend in the sun. The more time you spend in the sun, the greater the chance of spontaneous mutations in skin cells, leading to health concerns.
- Your genetics. Some people are either more or less likely to develop certain health issues.
- How you treat your skin. If your skin has plenty of nutrients and free radicals are regularly neutralized, your skin cells will be under less general pressure or stress.
Wearing sunscreen when you go outside is a critical part of any complete skin care routine. Sun protection is especially important for people who work outdoors or individuals with fair skin. Fair skin is more susceptible to sunburns, meaning those with fair skin should take extra care to protect themselves during sun exposure.
The best way to protect yourself against sun damage is to wear sunscreen regularly and give your skin all of the nutrients it needs by maintaining a healthy diet and proper skincare.
Skin Care Reduces the Appearance of Outbreaks
Similarly, skincare can help mitigate the appearance of blemishes.
Most blemish outbreaks are caused by excess sebum: a natural oil that your skin produces to keep itself moisturized and protected.
However, your skin can actually make too much sebum from time to time, especially if it is irritated, dry, or otherwise inflamed. When you properly take care of your skin, it’s less likely to create excess sebum, which means dirt and debris won’t clog your pores. In turn, this means your skin will be less susceptible to blemishes.
Skincare is even more important if you have oily or acne-prone skin in the first place. A good skincare routine will clear away excess sebum and dirt, minimizing the likelihood of your pores becoming filled with pus.
Skin Care Bolsters Your Body’s Defenses
Last but not least, skincare is also important because it can support your body’s defense overall. Your skin is your body’s largest organ and the first line of defense against viral and bacterial infections.
Specifically, your skin barrier prevents viruses and bacteria from penetrating its initial layers and getting into your body. The healthier your skin barrier is, the fewer bacteria and viruses your immune system has to deal with directly.
You can improve your skin's barrier by treating your skin cells right — that means maintaining a healthy diet and cleansing your skin regularly without going overboard. If you clean your skin regularly, it can reduce the chances of germs accidentally entering your mouth, eyes, or other entry points into your body.
How Can I Practice Good Skin Care?
While every person has a different skincare routine that’s perfect for their unique needs, a good overall skincare routine will include:
- Washing your face twice per day
- Using a facial cleanser to clear away dirt and debris
- Exfoliating your skin once or twice per week to get rid of dead skin cells and avoid acne outbreaks
- Using a face serum to provide your skin cells with extra vitamins and nutrients
- Using a moisturizer to seal in water and prevent your face, hands, or other skin from drying out
- Using sunscreen if you plan to be out in the sun for more than a few minutes, especially if you have fair skin
By practicing good skincare and using certain products, you could end up benefiting from all the advantages above. But you can also practice good skincare by:
- Eating a healthy diet – you are what you eat, and what you eat certainly affects your skin barrier and health!
- Avoiding toxic products like cigarettes or excess alcohol, which can also affect skin health.
- Ensuring that you take good supplements, such as adult multivitamin gummies, to provide your body with the vitamins and minerals it needs for overall wellness.
Great skincare is just as important as maintaining a well-rounded diet. With the right supplement, you can accomplish both objectives at the same time. For example, Hope Health’s Organic Greens + Gummies come with a unique superfood blend to bridge any nutritional gaps and detoxify your body, including your skin!
Make the most of your health at Hope Health today. Check out our online store for additional supplements that can benefit your skin, heart, and mind!